- antonio molinari 
- arnaldo soldini 
- carlo antonio crespi 
- david teniers iii 
- domenico gargiulo 
- domenico lupini 
- f. parisi 
- ferdinando andreini 
- gaspard dughet 
- gerrit van honthorst 
- giovanni boni 
- giuseppe zais 
- hieronymus iii francken 
- louis dorigny 
- marcello jori 
- mentore silvani 
- Abstract Composition 
- Human Figures 
- Figures of Saints 
- Still life 
- Landscape with Architecture 
- Landscape with Figures 
- Portrait / Face 
- Biblical scene 
- Scene with Figures 
- Scenes from an epic poem 
- Genre scenes 
- Allegorical / Mythological Subject 
- Sacred subject 
- Historical subject 
- City views / glimpses 
Italy, Early XVIII Century
Italy, Early XVIII Century
Late Mannerist sculpture in the round walnut depicting a female figure with left hand raised to the bare breast, a reference to motherhood and fertility. Child and part of the coat missing.
Oil on canvas. The painting is set in the woods near some architectural ruins and the focus is on the lively group of hunters dressed like knights and armed with swords and lances. They are delivering the final blow to the already wounded and dying deer with the help of dogs. The large format highlights the important commissioner. Restored and relined, it is presented in revival frame. 18th century.
Classical Landscape with 17th century figures
Classical Landscape with 17th century figures
Oil painting on canvas. In a large green landscape where a river flows, a village emerges in the center; in the foreground on the right, on the path there is a group of women, dressed in colored tunics. the painting takes up the pictorial modalities of Gaspard Dughet, the Roman painter trained at the school of Poussin, who devoted himself mainly to landscape production, with a new freedom and a fresh naturalness aimed at discovering a real and magical at the same time, pagan Nature. free and wild. In Dughet's production the human figures were never dominant, absent in the early production and then introduced only at the request of the clientele, coming to adopt a particular type of figures without major changes throughout his career: elegant figures, with a loose bearing, dressed of a short, vaguely ancient tunic, usually anonymous and belonging to the people. Such traits are found in this work, even if the attribution to Dughet is uncertain, and it is thought rather to place it in his circle. Restored and relined, the painting is presented in a period frame.
Oil on canvas. North Italian School. Inserted in a late Renaissance landscape, the composition of the figures is arranged according to an ascending diagonal towards the left and more precisely culminating with the three crosses on Calvary in the distance; the body of Christ is in the middle, lying, albeit also obliquely, behind him there are three figures: St. John, Mary in the centre, and a pious woman, the only one depicted in seventeenth-century clothes- probably a portrait of a person close to the client. The piece can be placed in the Lombard-Venetian cultural production of the first half of the 16th century, more precisely in the pictorial activity that flourished between Brescia, Garda and Verona, which found its maximum expression in the mannerist ways of Giovanni Demio (1500-1570 ca). In particular, some elements are found in the piece, especially in the shapes of clothing and poses (for example of Saint John), which refer to models of Raphaelesque mold that were widely used, thanks to the mediation of engravers such as Marcantonio Raimondi (1480 -1534 ca ), who contributed to the distribution of the pieces of the masters. The painting, restored and relined, has extensive renovations. It is presented in an antique frame, that can be dated around the 17th century, repainted.
Oil on canvas. Nazario and Celso were two Christian martyrs, who died in Milan in 304 a.C., veneered both by the Catholic and the Orthodox Church, who travelled through Italy as evangelisers, and were persecuted by Romans. According to the tradition, the two young men were condemned to die and put on a ship that was supposed to take them offshore, where they would have been thrown overboard. The legend narrates that, once they had been thrown overboard, they started walking on water. There was a storm which terrorised the sailors, who asked Nazario for help. The waters got calm immediately. In the end, the ship landed in Genua, where Nazario and Celso continued their evangelising work, in all the Liguria region and pushing even to Milan, where they were arrested again and sentenced to death a second time. The painting is in its first canvas and has never been restored, it needs some cleaning up but it is in good condition (micro paint losses). It is presented in a coeval frame, with defects.
Price on request
Oil on canvas. Lombard school. The rich lady portrayed is accompanied by the identifying inscription at the top right which reads "Eleonora Lampuniana Nupta N.V. Bartolomei De Cornu 1478": it is therefore Eleonora Lampugnani wife of Bartolomeo Del Corno. The Lampugnani family is an ancient patrician family of Milan (the name derives from the Lampugnano neighbourhood), with residences in Legnano and Busto Arsizio, and to which Filippo Maria Visconti (Duke of Milan) assigned the fief of Trecate in the fifteenth century; the noblewoman's husband belonged to the noble Piedmontese Corno family (originally called Del Corno). The noblewoman is portrayed standing, in a splendid richly embroidered dress, embellished with lace; she lays her hand on a precious box inlaid with ivory, probably a coin cabinet, a symbol of wealth and power, surmounted by a vase with flowers, a symbol of vanity. The painting has an ancient restoration on the hands, which are of lower quality than the face, the clothes, the glass jar. The painting comes from an antique Lombard collection. The date 1478, reported in the inscription, is not very consistent with the sixteenth-century clothing: according to the story of the family of origin of the painting, the date that appeared before the last restoration was 1578, and therefore it would be a modification mistakenly made by the restorer.
Oil on canvas. North-European School. This is a funny allegorical scene of profane love, that wants to prove how everyone, of any social class and every age, can fall into the trap of falling in love. The background of the canvas is occupied by an enormous keepnet, the basket net used in some kinds of fishing, above its opening sits a putto playing the violin; the keepnet is crowded with couples, while a parade of other couples walks in front of them to reach the entrance. Between them, there are couples of old and young people, rich and poor people, nobles, bourgeois and proletarians. Everyone has a content and light expression, they share looks of love or they benevolently look at the happiness of the others. Inside the keepnet, there is even a couple of royals, that correspond, for their features and clothing, to the Elector Palatine of Rhineland, John William of the Palatinate-Neuburg and his second wife Anna Maria Luisa de' Medici. On the back of the painting, there is a label bearing a historical attribution to Jan Frans Douven (1656-1727), the Dutch artist who moved to Düsseldorf in 1682 as the official painter at the Court of the Elector Palatine of Rhineland, mostly representing scenes of the daily life of the prince and his second wife. The label would confirm the scope of the attribution to an artist of the 17th-18th century in Northern Europe. The painting comes from a historical collection in Milan. It shows some traces of restorations and a patch. Frame in style.
Oil on canvas. Lombard School. It is the portrait of a man in armour standing proud, almost in motion, his hand sitting on the hilt of his sword; there is a coat of arms top left, a painted title block bottom right with a long Latin inscription, that identifies the man. He is Bartolomeo III Olevano, who belongs to the powerful noble family of the Olevano, feudal lords of many towns in the Pavia and Lomellina areas (where their castle still exists), who was very involved in the history of Pavia and its countryside until the 18th century. Bartolomeo III, born in 1512, had dedicated himself to the art of war for 40 years, carrying out numerous and highly honoured deeds, and was prefect of Mortara and Novara during the domination of Charles V, leader of soldiers and ambassador of Philip II. His most important achievements are summarised in the title block: a translation of the text is available. The coat of arms of the family has an olive tree on the left, from which the family took its name. The painting comes from an important historical Lombard family collection.
Oil on canvas. Intense and high quality, the painting depicts a monarch of the royal house of Scotland. Around the portrait, in a painted oval frame, there are some writings: the name Rober(t) appears at the top left, the title Rex at the bottom left and the abbreviation Scot, which stands for Scotorum, on the right; the writing at the top right is not identifiable, but it seems to be an acronym. The man portrayed wears a hat and a coat adorned with ermine fur, which is considered the noblest fur, reserved for royalty. He wears a golden pendant around his neck, which depicts two leaves with the fruit of the thistle, which, in heraldry, symbolizes Scotland. The writing and the pendant therefore refer to a Robert of Scotland, probably from the dynasty that reigned in the fourteenth century. The portrait was however executed in the romantic nineteenth-century period, probably using some ancient engravings for inspiration. Restored and relined, it is presented in a frame in style.
Jesus In Front Of Caiaphas
Jesus In Front Of Caiaphas
Oil on canvas. The painting reprises the piece of the Dutch master Gerrit Van Honthorst, realized in 1617 and now preserved in the National Gallery in London. Dutch by birth, he came to Rome soon after the death of Caravaggio, from whom he assimilated the style that earned him the nickname "Gherardo delle Notti". While in Rome, the artist was hosted by the Giustiniani family, who commissioned him a piece for his private collection, where it stayed until 1804. Brought to Paris first, in the Bonaparte collection, after more changes of ownership, it finally got to London in 1922. The painting tells the dramatic episode of the encounter between High Priest Caiaphas and Jesus, during his Passion. The whole upper part is occupied by the dark: the emptiness, the void, they focus the attention on the two protagonists and on the tragedy that is happening. The scene is strongly static, almost frozen in a specific moment, the accusatory act of the Priest towards Christ, to highlight the intensity of the inner drama, profoundly painful. In the scenem Caiaphas is on the left, sitting at the table on which the book of Jewish Law is sitting, and holds his finger up in an accusatory tone; Jesus is on the right, standing with his hands tied, in a humble attitude. There is a candle in the middle, the only source of light, that connects the face of Caiaphas and Jesus', that meet in a game of glances along a diagonal line, and of which the artificial light undelines mercilessly the expressive contrast, the priest's grotesque and angry, while Christ's is bright and composed. On the background, behind the two protagonists, there are figures of High Priests. They are just shadows in the dark who are waiting on the judgement and their faces are shrouded in the darkness that increases the tension. The mark of Caravaggio's influence is easy to spot in the contrast between lights and dark and the intensity of their gazes. The canvas here proposed, half the size of the original but faithful in the stylistic and interpretive forms, was probably commissioned in a smaller size by someone who appreciated the original in Palazzo Giustiniani. Restored and recanvased in 19th century. There are some names written on the back, signs of ownership. Frame in style.
Oil on canvas. Lombard school. The painting portrays the two saints sitting on rocks in the shadows of leafy trees, while they break bread, in the foreground on the left; Saint Paul is traditionally dressed with animal skins, Saint Anthony Abbot is wearing the habit of the Order and he is holding a prayer book. The two Saints have often been represented together becasue they share many traits: they both lived in the third century, they are both Egyptian, they both left all of their properties very young to devote themselves to a life of complete solitude, living in prayer and poverty. Saint Anthony Abbot has been one of the most famous hermits in the history of the Church. Saint Paul the Hermit lived all of his life in complete solitude in the desert as well, fed only with the bread a raven would regularly bring to him, according to hagiographic narratives. When he was closer to death, Saint Anthony Abbot visited him, with whom he broke bread. In this representation, the landscape context doesn't remind of the desert lands of Egypt, but they are located in a Nordic or Alpine landscape. On the left, there is an eremitical landscape, with some green and a small stream bottom right. The painting, already restored and recanvased, presents evident craquelure. Frame in style.
Oil on canvas. The whole scene played on the chiaroscuro of black and red with high flames that blazing between towers and peaks of the cyty: in the frontground Enea and his father Anchises' figures with his son Ascanio next to him while running away from the city; on the right, in the background, Trojan horse. Even if the subject is close to the one of Alessio De Marchis (1684-1752), the painting in question is closer to the femish painting. Restored and displayed in an ancient frame.
The figure of the innkeeper, is carved in the round and painted in polychrome, inserted in a portal carved vine shoots with vine leaves, golden gouache of a later period. The sculpture represents a host in the act of carrying a basket of fruit. The sculpture is well defined with a twist and expressiveness in the face. Shows an influence nordic; it is completely painted in polychrome, is clothed with the purple edges and belt, gold and green basket with branches of black grapes. The portal, which probably added to the end of the XVII century., it is made with vines that twine, creating a time of acute, starting from the two great heads of the baroque and ending in a face of the winged cherub. This part, probably born to a religious subject, is completely golden.
The Tale of Apollo and Marsyas
The Tale of Apollo and Marsyas
Oil painting on canvas. Northern Italian school of the seventeenth century. The large canvas derives from an engraving of 1562 by the Venetian Giulio Sanuto, who faithfully reproduced the homonymous work by Bronzino (1503-1572), currently preserved in the Hermitage; compared to the original, the engraving added the group of Muses and modified the landscape background by introducing views of the villages. The work is divided into four scenes, which must be read from right to left. The first scene depicts the musical contest between Apollo and the Silenus Marsyas, who played the flute so well that he was considered superior to the same god; the two contenders are performing, the god with the lyre and the silenus with the flute even upside down (to increase the difficulty of the undertaking), in front of King Midas and the goddess Minerva, recognizable by her attributes, the helmet, the spear and the shield. In the second scene Apollo is intent on skinning Marsyas, to punish him for having won the musical contest; lean on the ground next to him, his cloak and lyre. In the third scene, it is King Midas who is punished by the god for having preferred Marsyas to him: Apollo is putting the donkey's ears on Midas, while Minerva is watching. Finally, the fourth scene, in the foreground on the left, is characterized by a particular figure, identified in the faithful servant and barber of the king: since Midas had ordered him to keep the secret on his donkey ears, not being able to let off steam otherwise, he dug a hole in the ground and yelled into there his secret; in that place, however, legend has it that a bush of reeds grew that with the wind whispered "King midas has donkey ears", thus revealing the dreaded secret. The painting has been previously restored and relined, but currently needs any further color recovery. On the back in pencil there is an old attribution to the Ferrara school ("Ercole da Ferrara"). It is presented in a late 19th century style frame.
Oil painting on canvas. Lombard area of the late 18th century. The four canvases show scenes from Orlando Furioso, the famous epic poem written by Ludovico Ariosto and published for the first time in 1516. On the frame, on the back, there are handwritten writings in ancient Italian, which say the title of the scene and they give the reference of the song and the verse. All four scenes represent episodes taken from the first two songs of the poem and appear to be sequential. The attributive titles are as follows: 1- “This painting represents that Paladin galiardo (Rinaldo) son of Amone sig. di Monte Albano, which describes Ariosto in canto 1 to verse 12 ”: depicts the moment in which Rinaldo, on foot of his horse Baiardo, sees Angelica escaped from the camp of Namo di Baviera in the wood. 2- "This painting represents Angelica and Ferraù when she comes to their aid, which Ariosto describes in canto 1 verse 14": Angelica fleeing from Rinaldo, meets in the woods Ferraù, a noble Saracen knight who is also in love with the girl, who helps to escape by opposing the Christian knight. 3- “This painting represents Rinaldo and Sacripante who fall down, Angelica runs away from their fury. Ariosto describes it in Canto 2 verse 10 ": Rinaldo and Sacripante fight to compete for the love of Angelica, who in the meantime runs away. 4- “This painting represents Rinaldo and Sacripante in the act they fell for Angelica and were stopped by a spirit in the form of a Valletto. Ariosto describes it in canto 2 verse 15 ": while the two knights fight, Angelica meets a hermit, who, with a spell, evokes a spirit with the appearance of a footman, who interrupts the duel between the two contenders. The paintings therefore belong to a single pictorial cycle, attributable to the end of the eighteenth century and which, in accordance with the neoclassical taste, represents the characters in classical clothes - warriors dressed as ancient soldiers, Angelica dressed in a Roman tunic, shoes and bracelet - , but inserted in a landscape of Northern Italy, a shady and dense forest. The Orlando Furioso had the peculiarity of proposing the warlike theme associated with the love one (in particular the love story between Angelica and Medoro was preferred, which became the subject of numerous works by artists of all centuries) and obtained great popularity and success: His representations were numerous in all ranges of visual pictorial art, in stately frescoes, paintings, ceramics, even apothecary jars, cups, medals, pendulums, candelabra. It began in the Emilian land, the homeland of the poem created by Ariosto for Cardinal Ludovico D'Este, to arrive at the Medici courts, in Lombardy, where subsequently Ariosto's pictorial cycles were carried out in numerous palaces and stately homes. The canvases are presented in gilded style frames.
Oil painting on canvas. Lombard school of the seventeenth century. The large scene presents in the center the seated Madonna proposing her breast to the Baby Jesus, who instead stretches out to try to pick a fruit from the basket that St. John gives him, standing under them; around, five figures of saints, recognizable by their iconographic attributes. From the left you have: St. Paul, holding the sword, St. Anna, lovingly watching over his daughter and grandson, St. Peter holding the keys to the Kingdom, St. Joseph with his stick and a carpenter's tool at his waist , and finally, last on the right, San Carlo Borromeo, whose presence in the work supports the Lombard client. The painting also comes from the private collection of a Lombard family, of which it has been part since the 19th century. The work is still on the first canvas and with the original frame; on the back it has some small patches and signs of previous patches. It is presented in a late 19th century frame.
Oil on the table. Lombard school of the first half of the 18th century. Large in size, the painting is made on two thick walnut boards, joined by wooden wedges. The choice of support suggests that the production is peripheral, probably from the valley. The scene sees the archangel Gabriel who, from the open skies from which other angels emerge, presents himself to Mary, kneeling in meditation. Particular is the message of the announcement ("Spiritus Sanctus superveniet in Te", or "The Holy Spirit descends on you") that comes out of the Angel's mouth, surmounted by the dove, an effigy of the Spirit of God; moreover the Angel holds in his hand a lily, symbol of purity, in this case of the Virginity of Mary which is preserved. The painting shows traces of previous clumsy restorations, small drops of color and damage to the panels (widespread signs of wormhole). Presented in a stylish frame.
Still Life with Flowers Fruits a Parrot and Game
Still Life with Flowers Fruits a Parrot and Game
Oil painting on canvas. Neapolitan school of the seventeenth-eighteenth century. The large composition is rich in numerous different elements: in the center stands a large floral composition, of multiple varieties in bright colors; on the left of the flowers, resting on a Doric capital, there is a budgie with bright colors contrasting with the dull ones of the dead quail lying on the floor below, together with some pumpkins and a pewter vase. The painting, restored and relined, is presented in a period frame. It comes from an important collection (Commendatore Arturo Stucchi, an entrepreneur from Como, is mentioned on the back).
Oil on canvas. Emilian school. The large painting comes from the mixture of a piece by Guido Reni (1575-1642), "Virgin Mary at the sewing school", now lost, but known for studio copies and engravings, and another version, left unfinished by Reni himself and then completed by Gianandrea Sirani (1610-1670), and is now presented in the Hermitage Museum in Petersburg. The art historian Massimo Pulini has written about this second version and the finishing work by Sirani, in the article "Gianandrea Sirani painter of recitatives and finisher of unfinished pieces by Reni". The piece presented here refers to the version of Sirani in the composition that takes up the whole scene with female figures participating in the school, to which the little dog is added, however moved from left to right, while the presence of the girl accompanied by her mother on the right refers to the version of Reni. Moreover, an absolutely new element appears in this piece, which makes this canvas an additional version: the presence of a landscape opening in the background in the centre, framed between the two heavy curtains. The piece has been restored and relined. It is presented in an 18th century frame, regilded and adapted.